Wow. Hi guys! It’s been a looong time since I last posted on here – about 7 months, to be exact. I’ve been itching to get back to blogging for some time now, but I kept putting it off because I wanted my website to be perfect. My website isn’t perfect yet, but I wanted to get a post out there anyways!
For my first post back, I figured I would bring back a tried and true series that has always gotten good feedback – my monthly favorites! Additionally, these past 7 months have been the wildest of my entire life, so I thought I would give you a little life update as well!
Here’s the short and sweet version:
1.) I graduated college with two degrees – Creative Advertising and Professional Writing.
2.) I moved back home to the U.P.
3.) I backpacked Europe for 5 weeks – more on that to come in my next posts!
4.) I GOT ENGAGED. This is my very favorite life update – I get to marry my best friend!! We got engaged in London right near Buckingham Palace – it was out of a fairytale. Would you be interested in wedding planning posts? I might just make them anyways.
5.) I started Gemma Darr Creative Co. full time! Currently, we’re in quite a big transition phase. I am still doing photography, but recently picked up a few big branding clients who I work with regularly. As the photography season slows down, I am working on updating my portfolio, social media presence, and figuring out workflows for this new phase of my business! I’ve been dreaming about doing branding for a long time – I’m so excited these dreams are coming to fruition!
And that’s that on that!
Now, on to…
I’ve had a whole lot of time to collect some wonderful favorites – I think you’ll really like them.
I almost exclusively listen to True Crime podcasts, so if you’re not a fan of that these probably aren’t for you! I have a lot of time to listen to podcasts while I work, so I’m always searching for good ones – if you have any recommendations, send them this way!
- CRIME JUNKIE. My parents and I have become so obsessed with this podcast we subscribed to their Patreon. It’s two ladies telling a different story every episode, and the main host is an incredible storyteller. Additionally, I appreciate them because they cover cases that aren’t very well known to the public and bring them awareness.
- & That’s Why We Drink. If you like My Favorite Murder, you will love this one! It’s a mix of comedy and crime stories – where can you go wrong?
Being able to read for pleasure and not for an assignment is one of my favorite parts of being out of college. My favorite genre is …thriller Surprise, surprise! Here are my book-related favorites this month.
- My kindle! I just have a standard kindle, but I haven’t gotten in the habit of using it until recently! It’s the perfect size, doesn’t give off a blue light, and I can carry all my potential reads in one place. I’m so happy I picked it up again!
- The Lying Game by Ruth Ware. Oh, Ruth Ware. She is my guilty pleasure. Her books are relatively easy reads and there are always sharp twists and turns at the end! This one was a little slow-burning and I really enjoyed it.
- Brain on Fire by Suzannah Cahalen. This is actually a non-fiction read! It’s about a young woman who suddenly starts hallucinating, acting strange, and whose personality eventually becomes unrecognizable to her friends and family. It follows her journey in the hospital and their struggle to figure out a diagnoses. It’s incredible and interesting!
- OPI Plumping Top Coat. I’m normally not a fan of super thick nail polish, but this is a game changer! It’s ultra-shiny and thicker than a normal topcoat, so it makes my nails look like I just got them done in the salon.
- Tarte Vegan Lip Oil. This has been my favorite way to bring a little shine into my makeup without going overboard. It’s super moisturizing and adds a sheer tint to my lips!
- Oversized Barettes. I was VERY not on board with this trend when it first appeared, but now I’ve been having a lot of fun with them! It’s like a unique way to bring some jewelry into your outfit. I’ve been loving this pearl one.
I actually got a lot of these fashion favorites at Target! They’ve stepped up their clothing game, and I couldn’t resist!
- Mules. I might be a bit behind on this trend, but every time I wear these out, I get so many compliments on them! They make every single outfit look that much more put together.
- Wide leg jeans. Flattering and feels like yoga pants? YES PLS.
- This leopard print dress. I’ve been wearing this non-stop! To meetings, dates, events, and more… It’s so versatile but still makes a statement!
- Lastly, the midi-skirt, combat boots, and sweater combo! It’s so easy to throw together, but whenever I wear it I feel extra ~stylish.~
- This is more geared for small business owners, but DUBSADO. I don’t know how it took me so long to get on a CRM software! This has streamlined everything that I do with my business, and makes sending out contracts and invoices easier than ever.
- Solo dates. Since being away from college and living in close quarters with all of my girlfriends, I’ve realized how uncomfortable I’ve become with being alone. Recently, I’ve been trying to lean into this feeling and embrace time with myself. The other day I took myself to the beach, laid out a blanket, and read my favorite book for a while. It doesn’t seem that huge, but it was a step towards finding some comfort in my own company.
If you made it to the end here, TYSM. I’m so so excited to be back at this. My next order of business with the blog is to create all of my Europe travel posts, and I’m still working on figuring out the format of those! Let me know if you have any suggestions, or any other posts you’d like to see. 🙂